Friday, June 26, 2009

Trip to Charleston, SC






Well I have been away all week visiting the charming and beautiful city of Charleston. If you are a foodie this place has more tempting deli's, restaurant's and cafes than you could visit in a month. that brings me to my weight loss journey... Well even after all of this dining delights I still managed to lose .6 pounds this week. I am going to attribute that to all of the walking I did. We walked everywhere and it didn't even seem like a lot of walking even in the 90 degree heat because there was so much to see.
We stayed at the Mills House Hotel which was beautiful. They offered free room service breakfasts which one was a healthy start breakfast with fresh fruit (cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries, grapes and orange quarters) with your choice of cereal, skim milk, fresh squeezed OJ and coffee. It was a great way to start the day.
In the afternoon the hotel also offers 2 glasses complimentary wine and your choice of hot appetizer, either baked brie served with strawberry chipolte preserves or a vegetable goat cheese quesadilla. I had some of each (different days) and each was very good.
We spent one day at the Isle of Palm Beach. The water was almost too warm at 85 degrees and a storm had come through several days before and the ocean water was very cloudy. It was a nice beach and we really enjoyed it.


Philip Simmons, whose skill with the hammer and anvil elevated him from a humble working man to an artisan widely recognized as a national treasure, died Monday night. He was 97. The city was covered in white ribbons on every piece of iron he made for it!

The other two days were spent antiquing, checking out the open air market, seeing the aquarium and just general sight seeing. We enjoyed a ghost walk tour one evening that was enough to scare the pee out of you, luckily I had used the facilities right before it left!

Ghost tour pics.. SPOOKY!

Circular Congregational Church Cemetery







The Oak Steakhouse was our favorite restaurant of the ones we visited. Great menu and wonderful food, way too much temptation when eating only 24 points per day, needless to say I went a little over. I chose the Spagattini with Spring Vegetable Primavera which was a tomato, asparagus, zucchini, squash, lemon zest, onions, garlic, fresh basil and olive oil type lasagna. It was good and I felt good about my choice. My son had a 17 oz filet hamburger- I have never seen a burger this size in my life! He couldn't eat it all but somehow still had room for dessert. Once I saw these amazing deserts any WW thoughts flew out of my brain. Look at that chocolate cake and the cupcakes are served with a root beer float shooter- too cute!
I ate dinner at Bubba Gumps one evening and ordered the peel and eat shrimp and a side salad- it was really good, I got half seasoned Cajun and half garlic, I liked both but preferred the Cajun. great dinner, low points! Really a fun place to take the kids, they had hula hoops and rubber duck races in a "stream" at the front of the outdoor eating area.

I am really going to give it my all this week, I am proud of myself for balancing this last trip and not gaining. I am going to walk more at home this week, apparently I must burn a lot of calories that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment